Ass Clown Brewing Company comes to Charlotte, NC

Ass Clown BrewingWith new breweries like Birdsong Brewing and Noda Brewing coming to Charlotte this year, it was only a matter of time before some Ass Clown followed in their footsteps.

Well, that time is here. Ass Clown Brewing Company hopes to open in Cornelius later this year.

“The name ‘Ass Clown’ came from a co-worker and I calling each other ‘ass clowns’ at work,” said Matt Glidden, founder and brewer of Ass Clown Brewing. “Even though we have an odd name, we take our beer seriously.”

Matt takes beer so seriously, in fact, that he brews almost every night. He’s brewed for eight years, and yet rarely does he repeat the same recipe.

“I want a brewery that does not put profits in front of quality,” Matt said. “I want a beer that I can trust its ingredients. I want flavors from ingredients that are grown in NC.  We are going to always look for an odd flavor, and always experiment with recipes in small batches to achieve flavors that are not currently out there.”

You can see this desire for experimentation in Ass Clown’s premier beers, such as Poplar Brown Ale, Orange IPA, Dark Chocolate Blueberry Porter and Apricot Seed Pale Ale (these are not the final names of these beers). Matt roasts his own organic coffee, which he adds to coffee porters, and he also makes wine.

Matt wants Ass Clown to be known as much for sustainability as experimentation, and he hops to use alternative energy uses to brew his beers, which will feature organic ingredients and homegrown hops.

Right now, Matt is finishing up licensing and trying to find a home for his brewery in Cornelius. Initially, he plans to sell growlers and kegs, both to the public and local bars and restaurants. He does have a tasting room open in Cornelius at 17039 Kenton Drive, Suite 102. You can also sample Ass Clown Brewing Company’s beers at the upcoming Gastonia Grizzlies Beer Fest and NC Brewers & Music Festival, both of which will take place on May 14.

Comments

1. Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers says:

I like the idea of a new local brewery using local ingredients. I can’t wait to get my hands on one… or a six…

2. herb says:

I know Matt and he’s a professional, takes pride in what he accomplishes,for the love of life and family I can’t wait to have one of his beers!!

3. terry says:

Matt take pride in his recipes and loves his work, but who wouldn’t when your a brewer.

4. Barack says:

Matt is a lazy slouch who is sloppy when it comes to his ingredients. He buys the cheapest crap from Mexican slave labor in order to make money. The beers wind up tasting like Bud Light Lime.

• Jean says:

Not sure why someone would reply to this article with such vengeance and misrepresentation! (?) I met Matt at the Cornelius tasting room and was enamored with his integrity and very impressed with his mission for his newly introduced AssClown Brewery- he is striving not only to use his own organically grown hops, but to become a “Green” company. After tasting the uniquely crafted beers, I was both delighted and surprised with the range of flavor and harmonious tones. Cheers to AssClown! I look forward to finding you at the upcoming festivals!

5. Chuck P. says:

I sampled Matt’s beer this weekend. As a home craft brewer, I can assure anyone that his choice of ingredients are fresh, and brave. Ass Clown will lead a counter culture in brewing that will set it apart from others. I for one welcome this change. All other craft brews are starting to taste the same.

Raise a glass of Ass Clown in revolt to the boring stage of other craft brews!

Chuck OUT!

6. Have not sampled your brew. However, the name you choose is of particular interest to us. Everyone in the band applauds you.

7. Joe Jennings says:

I’m a Charlotte resident and have a son that lives in Cornelius. I’m looking forward to getting home from my overseas deployment and trying the beer. If nothing else, I love the name of the company!

8. Name says:

Beer sounds great, just can’t get past the name…..obviously not business savvy

Trackbacks

1. [...] The Wiktionary says that an ass clown is: “A jerk; a buffoon; a person who is inept or ill-behaved to the point that others find him laughable.” Wiktionary. The Online Slang Dictionary says an ass clown is: “A general term describing intellectually challenged people or a fool of great magnitude.” Slang. The Urban Dictionary says that an ass clown is: “one, who, through the fault of his parents conception, is a skid mark in society’s collective underwear.” Urban. So, the term is not really that bad. In fact, I’m fairly certain that most of you know terms WAY worse than that. There is even an AssClown Brewing Company in North Carolina. Assclown. [...]